Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Irish weather forecasts

Is it just me or is are Irish weather forecasts brutal? Watch the 6 or 9 o'clock news for yourself some night and see. Most of it is taken up with a review of today's weather. I don't give a shit. I lived it today - I know what the weather was like.

You then get a couple of seconds on tomorrow's weather. Now they are getting down to what we really want, but they quickly gloss over it and move on. You get a sense that they only have a passing acquaintance with tomorrow's weather rather than knowing it really well. "There'll definitely be some weather tomorrow, we just don't know what it is."

After a token few seconds about tomorrow they quickly move on to the long-range forecast, safe in the knowledge that no matter what they predict for 4 days time, everyone will have forgotten by the time it comes. Again, I don't give a shit. Tell me tomorrow's fuckin' weather please.

They are always clever enough to cover their own asses and predict rain of some sort. The phrase "with the odd scattered shower" is bandied about like confetti at a wedding, just so that from a tropical monsoon to a single drop they can say they have predicted it.

I propose an Irish solution to an Irish problem. The one-word weather forecast. A quick accurate prediction of tomorrow's weather than can be delivered in less than 15 seconds. For the rest of today I predict "Savage".

No comments:

Post a Comment